Job Title: Digital Communications Specialist
Term: Full Time
Effective Start Date: June 18, 2018
Ontario’s Highlands Tourism Organization (OHTO) is one of thirteen Regional Tourism Organizations (RTOs) within the Province of Ontario. Our borders spread from the Haliburton Highlands to the Ottawa Valley and encompass all the treasures in between. While our team is small, we are extremely passionate about what we do, and that is both working with our incredible tourism industry to bring to life the stories of Ontario’s Highlands, and inspiring travellers to experience first-hand everything our breathtaking region has to offer.
OHTO is looking for a Digital Communications Specialist to join the Marketing team. This is a full time position reporting to the Marketing Manager, while working in collaboration with the entire OHTO team. It is an excellent opportunity for someone who knows how to take compelling stories and effectively distribute them through digital channels for the purposes of growing audiences and motivating them to act. You will have the opportunity to apply your expertise in digital communications tactics to shape the organization’s online community and build engaged advocates for our brand. This position is responsible for developing, implementing, and evaluating the tactical activities around OHTO’s digital distribution channels, namely: social media, Influencers, media relations, and e-newsletters.
- Passionate about digital communications and able to demonstrate measured success in effectively engaging an audience.
- A social media geek. You know the social trends before they happen and know how to best leverage them.
- Experienced in working with media and influencers. You can develop the perfect travel itinerary to showcase our unique tourism experiences and generate positive coverage for Ontario’s Highlands.
- Comfortable with multi-tasking and wearing many hats – sometimes at the same time.
- Passionate about working with a talented team in a high-paced work environment. While a team player, you also thrive by working independently and are motivated to sculpt your role in the organization.
- Experienced in building online communities on social platforms and growing newsletter subscribers.
- Adept on how to effectively measure and track success on digital platforms using digital tools such as MailChimp, Sprout Social, and Google Analytics and can effectively translate findings into actionable items.
- Eager to gain a greater understanding of the experiences offered in the region and well positioned to become the region’s biggest advocate.
You Get To:
- Create and execute both consumer and industry social media programs that meet organizational goals.
- Provide knowledge on trends and strategic advice on implementing effective social media tactics to enhance the Content Marketing Strategy and grow an engaged social community.
- Execute the day-to-day community management and moderation of Ontario’s Highlands’ consumer and industry social platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube). This includes writing content for social networks, engaging followers, and responding to comments.
- Strategize and implement list building activities to increase the consumer and industry email databases.
- Produce monthly consumer and industry e-newsletters.
- Analyze and report on digital communication tactics and campaigns. Translate findings to recommendations as it relates to the digital communication channels.
- Manage OHTO’s Influencer program to aid in Content Generation and Storytelling for Ontario’s Highlands’ Content Platform.
- Oversee Media Relations and Influencer budget as provided by the Marketing Manager.
Plan all Influencer and Media trip itineraries and travel logistics.
- Manage all Media Relations activities to communicate the consumer and industry brand messages, namely press release creation and distribution, media outreach and pitches, and targeted stories.
- Create written content as required for native content purposes and as assigned by the Content Specialist.
- Liaise with and coach tourism operators for the purposes of generating greater understanding of the importance of online conversations and supporting related OHTO activities.
- Provide event logistics and administrative support for OHTO industry events and meetings.
You’ll Need to Have:
- A minimum of 3 years’ of recent experience in a similar role.
- University Degree or College Diploma in a related field such as Communications, Marketing, or Public Relations.
- Demonstrated understanding of digital communications strategies, best practices, engagement techniques, and trends.
- Knowledge of content marketing, especially as it relates to social media and digital communications.
- Proficient ability to deliver creative content.
- Ability to grasp future trends in digital technologies and act proactively.
- Knowledge and experience in tourism destination marketing and familiarity of the Ontario’s Highlands region is an asset.
- Be open to change and growth. We are a dynamic organization that values the ability to shift quickly to answer to market changes and demand. Your role and tasks will expand and change as the organization evolves and the marketing strategy shifts to meet the needs of our visitor.
- Ability to work proactively in a small team setting while having excellent communication skills to keep all team members up to date on project status and progress.
- Ability to resolve issues and establish realistic expectations related to quality and deadlines.
- A strong work ethic, initiative and eagerness to take on challenges.
- Ability to build and forge relationships.
- The Ontario’s Highlands head office is based out of Pembroke, ON; however, all staff are set up to work remotely. The qualified applicant must be comfortable with working independently and achieving goals with minimal supervision and regularly communicating with a team over digital channels.
- The candidate must have previous experience working in a remote office setting and access to a suitable remote office environment.
- Preference is given to those individuals who live within or within close proximity to the Ontario’s Highlands region.
- Travel is required for this position. A valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle is imperative.
In this role you will have the opportunity to shape the organization’s digital communication strategy and effectively engage audiences across digital channels. You will be contributing to the growth of a tourism region and building awareness of Ontario’s Highlands as a preferred destination in Ontario. If this sounds like an exciting opportunity, we want to hear your story.
Please send your cover letter and resume to Julie Mulligan at email@example.com by 4:00pm on Friday, May 4, 2018.
Thank you for your interest, however, only applicants considered for an interview will be contacted. OHTO is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.