In the past several days, the federal and provincial governments have announced unprecedented yet necessary measures to help contain the spread of COVID-19.
We know the impact of these measures will require our tourism industry to make tough decisions regarding how best to respond in the midst of many unknowns.
OHTO is committed to working with our communities to do everything we can to provide information and updates to help our sector make informed decisions. To that end, we will be updating this page on a regular basis to include links to resources that are relevant to the needs of our industry.
Full list of Federal and Provincial support measures for businesses and individuals.
- Government of Canada’s Resources for Canadian Businesses
- Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan
- FEDEV Ontario
- The Canadian Payroll Association Q&A
- Employment and Social Development Canada COVID-19 Services
- EDC Webinar on Demand: Managing the impact on global supply chains
- BDC Support for Entrepreneurs
- Government of Ontario updates
- Ontario Chamber of Commerce Preparedness Toolkit for Ontario Businesses
There are several other tourism organizations that play an important role in distilling the information being released on a daily basis to the tourism sector. We encourage our stakeholders to review the following list of organizations, and subscribe to their newsletters wherever possible.
- Haliburton Highlands
- OVTA & Renfrew County Economic Development
- Lanark County Tourism Association
- Frontenac County
- Lennox and Addington County
- Hastings County
- Tourism Industry Association of Ontario (TIAO)
TIAO, the voice of tourism in Ontario, is working to consult with the provincial government to ensure the unique needs of tourism-based businesses are met by their relief programs.
- Destination Ontario
Destination Ontario promotes Ontario as a travel destination.
- Attractions Ontario
Attractions Ontario promotes attractions in the province, such as adventure tourism businesses, museums, historical attractions, etc.
- Festival and Events Ontario
Festivals and Events Ontario supports the festival and events industry in Ontario.
- Ontario Restaurant Hotel and Motel Association
ORHMA is dedicated to fostering a positive business climate for Ontario’s hospitality industry.
- Tourism Industry Association of Canada
TIAC is the voice of Canada’s tourism industry, and is working to consult the federal government to shape relief programs.
- Destination Canada
Destination Canada is a Crown corporation owned by the Government of Canada, whose mission is to unite and empower Canada’s tourism leaders through compelling research, strategy, and storytelling to drive visitor economy.
- Indigenous Tourism Association of Canada
The Indigenous Tourism Association of Canada (ITAC) focuses on creating partnerships between associations, organizations, government departments and industry leaders from across Canada to support the growth of Indigenous tourism in Canada.
- Digital Main Street is offering a series of free digital training workshops for your business. Check here for topics and dates.
- Destination Canada will host a webinar with The Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Economic Development and Official Languages, Destination Canada, and TIAC, on Wednesday April 1 at 11:00 am. Registration is not necessary – join the meeting here.
- TIAO is hosting a series of conference calls with Lisa Lavecchia, President and CEO of Destination Ontario, on Wednesday, April 1. Find the schedule and details here.
- Destination Think is holding a webinar for DMOs on leading your destination through crisis and recovery on Tuesday, March 31 at 4:00 pm.
- The Ontario Government has set up a “Stop the Spread Business Information Line” where you can call with business-related questions. See the full details here.
- Destination Canada has published a past webinar on COVID-19 including information on available federal support initiatives. View that here.
- BDC’s past webinar on coping with the impacts of COVID-19 on your business is available for viewing here.
- Smith School of Business and Queen’s University’s webinar on the immediate and long-term impacts on business in Canada is available here.
- BC Hughes has published a blog on what your tourism business can do during a global crisis.