Winter in Ontario’s Highlands means plenty of snow – and where there’s snow, adventure awaits! All you need to explore our expansive network of trails are some cross-country skis or snowshoes. Bring your own, or stop by one of our outfitters to get set up for your excursion.
Embrace the quiet solitude of your own company, bring along your friends or family for a great day trip filled with laughter, or join a guided excursion to meet some friendly new faces. The winter forest is full of wildlife, so don’t be surprised if you run into birds, rabbits, and deer as you wander.
Check out these five ways to explore winter trails across Ontario’s Highlands:
- Tap in to your “True North” pride while exploring the breathtaking Haliburton Highlands during a guided Ski Like a Canadian adventure with Yours Outdoors, or opt for a self-guided trip along Algonquin Highlands’ ski and snowshoe trails.
- Find some peace and quiet (and maybe even a moose or deer) while exploring the snow-covered trails of the eco-friendly Pinecone Forest, or the beautifully rugged terrain at Silent Lake Provincial Park before tucking into the cozy Pinecone Chalet or a winter yurt at the park to spend the night.
- Take the covered surface lift all the way to the top at Sir Sam’s Ski/Ride to snowshoe along a beautiful three-kilometer trail and be amazed by panoramic views of Eagle Lake and Moose Lake.
- Go for a winter hike or snowshoe on the Manitou Trail that surrounds the ski mountain at Calabogie Peaks Ski Resort and have your breath taken away by the beauty of Eagle’s Nest Lookout, or immerse yourself in a picturesque winter forest as you cross country ski along Madawaska Nordic Trails.
- Embrace the beauty of winter with all its tranquility during a hike or snowshoe along the Rideau Trail, or find a winter trail perfect for you by visiting the Ontario Trails Council and Eastern Ontario Trails Alliance websites.
Ontario’s Highlands Insiders
Knowledgeable in uncovering hidden gems, making fresh tracks, embracing new perspectives, and disconnecting from the everyday, this group of experts is happy to share their wisdom with you. With a passion for local stories, a love of delicious food, and a thirst for unrehearsed days, this team is made up of creative minds and wandering souls.