Ontario’s Highlands has a thousand stories to tell. Whether you want to represent your hometown, highlight the amazing discoveries that this region has to offer, or simply show off your writing skills, writing for ComeWander.ca is a great place to tell your story. You can become a regular content contributor by applying to join our Roster of Local Wanderers or if you already have a story to share, we’d love to hear it!
Join our Roster of Local Wanderers
Are you an accomplished writer, videographer, or photographer who has a passion for your community and all of the tourism experiences it has to offer? We are looking for talented individuals who are interested in becoming regular contributors to Ontario’s Highlands’ digital platforms. If you are eager to tap into your firsthand knowledge of the tourism experiences in your area and apply them to unique story assignments, we invite you to apply to OHTO’s Roster of Local Wanderers.
Joining our Roster of Local Wanderers is an Opportunity to:
- Share local pride and support for your community
- Expand your published media portfolio
- Personally gain increased exposure (we have more than 25,000 social media followers across our platforms)
- Gain financial compensation
Types of Stories We’re Looking For
Contributors should review the OHTO Come Wander Editorial Calendar for the most recent content ideas that fit the time of year or theme OHTO is looking for. In general, OHTO is looking for stories such as:
- First-person accounts of experiences, trips, and specific activities told as a narrative story.
- Photo essays/diaries that provide a glimpse into the day-to-day activities of a wanderer.
- Video dairies that allow viewers to experience what you did in real time.
- Lists, checklists, Top 5s that help readers make travel decisions, plan for their trip, learn something unique.
- Itineraries and stories about the wandering ideology.
- Educational or instructional content from experts on how visitors can make the most of their experience. (i.e. how to take perfect nature photos, how to get into a canoe, how to use a compass for orienteering, how to pack your car).
- Feature articles on destinations, towns, attractions or activities (profile of Perth, feature on snowboarding, etc.)
- History and geography. Stories about historical events, regional oddities, geographic features of the area.
- Personal stories. Stories about locals, celebrities, or even visitors of note.
For more information on creating content aligned with the Come Wander brand, please review our Come Wander Content Guide.
For more information on submitting photos and videos aligned with the Come Wander brand, please review our Come Wander Photography & Video Style Guide.
How to Apply
To apply to join OHTO’s Roster of Local Wanderers, please send a completed Application to Join OHTO’s Roster of Local Wanderers along with published samples of your work to Jennifer Gilmer. OHTO staff will confirm receipt of your application along with their decision within 5 business days.
Already have a finished story to share?
We want to hear it! To submit a story about an experience in Ontario’s Highlands for consideration to be featured on Comewander.ca, please email Jennifer Gilmer with your story in Word format and related images as an attachment. Please also include the information below.
Your Story: Please submit your story as a Word doc, include a suggested headline, captions for all photos, and include any links in the body that you wish to reference.
Word Count: All stories should have a minimum word count of 350 words. There is no maximum. Photo essays and video submissions do not need to meet the 350 word minimum.
Formatting: Please ensure documents are submitted with as little formatting as possible other than embedded links. Image captions and other instructions should be included at the bottom, clearly marked as such.
Your Author Bio: Bio should be approximately 60 words and should include any relevant social media handles, and a description of who you are and what your perspective or expertise is.
Supporting Images, Interactive Content, or Videos: Please always submit images or video in as high resolution as possible. Low resolution images cannot be used.
Images (PNG, JPG): Provide any high res images you would like to include as an attachment to your email. Please include instructions in your Word doc as to how and where the images should ideally be placed. When saving your images, please provide a descriptive name (e.g. perth-canoe-trip_image1.jpg). Please ensure that you have the appropriate rights to use the images outlined in your story. Additionally, you are acknowledging that you are allowing OHTO to use the visual content on all marketing platforms.